Date Posted:9 October 2018
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Prepare your butternut: cut off both ends, peel and then cut in half and cut into chunks. You want to cut them into about 1 inch cubes.
- Heat some oil in a heavy bottom pan on medium heat. Thinly slice the onion and crush the garlic and ginger. Add them to the pan when it is hot. Add the curry leaves after a minute and cook until fragrant.
- Add the butternut, turmeric, curry powder, garam masala, cumin and chilli and mix until evenly coated.
- Next add the coconut milk and vegetable stock, and bring to a gentle simmer.
- After 10 minutes, rinse the red lentils and add to the pan. Leave to simmer whilst you prepare your cauliflower.
- Cut the cauliflower into bite size florets and mix in a bowl with some oil, cumin seeds and curry powder. Spread onto a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- After 10 minutes place the rice in some boiling water and cook for 10 minutes (or according to packet instructions).
- Once the cauliflower is crispy and starting to brown, remove from the oven.
- The curry should now have thickened and the butternut will be soft. Add the desiccated coconut, this will help to thicken the sauce. If you think it is too thick, just add a little more water.
- Add the juice of one lime and a handful of chopped coriander.
- Serve with extra coriander, desiccated coconut, chilli flakes and mango chutney.
Leave a comment