Natural Toothpaste - Why You Should Make The Switch
Author: Lyndell Stringer Date Posted:4 August 2017
Do you know what is in your toothpaste? Many people just brush their teeth out of habit and don’t give much thought to the ingredients in their toothpaste. However, the skin around our gums and mouth is very sensitive and readily absorbs whatever comes into contact with it.
Some of the harmful ingredients found in popular toothpastes include:
- Sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) – used as a foaming agent, SLS irritates the skin, causing the gaps between skin cells to open up and allow toxins or carcinogens to get in.. The abrasiveness of SLS can cause ulcers too, so if you experience chronic mouth ulcers, switch to an SLS-free natural toothpaste. SLS also mimics oestrogen – xenoestrogens have been implicated in oestrogen-sensitive hormone conditions and oestrogen-dependent cancers.
- Triclosan – is added as an antibacterial, and while it has been shown to reduce gingivitis, it has been linked to concerns about antibacterial resistance and oestrogen disruptors. Triclosan is structurally similar to thyroid hormones and reductions in serum thyroid hormone levels have been observed in animal studies following oral administration of triclosan. The US Food and Drug Administration has banned triclosan from everyday products, citing over 100 peer-reviewed journals and concluded it does more harm than good.
- Peroxide – added to whiten teeth, peroxide is a known toxin and irritant to all soft tissues. Used on a daily basis can harm the gums.
- Fluoride – helps prevent tooth decay and is essential for strong teeth. However, we only need small amounts of fluoride, yet the amount we are exposed to in both our toothpaste and water is coming under increased scrutiny. The health concerns associated with fluoride include mottling of the teeth, osteosarcoma (bone cancer) and osteoarthritis because fluoride displaces calcium and makes bones brittle. Fluoride can also inhibit the uptake of iodine which is essential for healthy thyroid function.
Even the ADA (The Australian Dental Association) recommends that children under the age of 4 should not use commercial toothpaste due to the risk of swallowing the toxic ingredients. That's pretty concerning isn't it?
Natural toothpastes are free of all the nasty ingredients and will help keep your teeth and gums healthy. Some great natural ingredients include:
- Propolis – which has antibacterial and antiseptic properties to protect against ulcers and infections.
- Eucalyptus, cinnamon, rosemary and lemon essential oil all have antibacterial properties.
- Bicarb soda is a natural, gentle abrasive that can help to dislodge food particles and remove stains on teeth
- Coconut oil – Oil pulling using coconut oil is a natural alternative to toothpastes. Lauric acid from coconut oil converts to monolaurin in the body which exhibits antimicrobial, antiviral and antifungal properties. For detailed instructions on oil pulling, click here.
We have a range of natural toothpastes at Sunnybrook for you to choose from, so next time you’re in the store, come and take a look. If you have any other questions regarding which natural toothpaste is right for you, pop in and have a chat with one of our helpful health care professionals