Healthy Gluten Free Banana Bread
Author: Bridee Date Posted:17 August 2018
- 180 g / 1½ cups Lotus Organic Buckwheat Flour
- 1 tsp of Lotus Gluten Free Baking Powder
- ¾ tsp of Bobs Red Mill Gluten Free Baking Soda
- 1½ tsp of Gourmet Organic Herbs Ground Cinnamon
- 1½ cups mashed up, overripe bananas (approx. 3 medium / 550 g)
- 60 ml / ¼ cup mild-tasting olive oil
- 90 ml / 1/3 cup + 2 tsp Australias Own Organic Almond
- 2 tsp lemon or lime juice
- 125 g/ ½ cup + 2 tbsp Loving Earth Organic Coconut Sugar or Billingtons Demerara Sugar*
- Warm up the oven to 175° C and line a 900 g / 2 lb cake tin with baking paper. Move the oven rack a notch down from the middle position.
- Combine well mashed up bananas with oil, almond milk, lemon juice and sugar in a large bowl. Mix very well.
- In a smaller bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ones in three batches, mixing well each time. Mix until there is no dry flour left.
- Transfer the cake batter into the prepared baking tin. It should be fairly thick. Slice a banana in half lengthwise and place on top of the cake – do not press it down as the cake will raise all around it.
- Bake for about 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out fairly clean (this cake should be moist). Remove from the oven and brush with a little maple syrup while the cake is still hot.
- Let the cake cool down completely before removing it from the tin and slicing. Use a serrated knife to slice if you have one as produces neater looking slices.
*If your bananas are very ripe and you like your cakes to be subtly sweet (or you are trying to use less sugar), 100 g / ½ cup of sugar is enough, especially if you intend to glaze the bread