Carrot, Miso & Sesame Soup
Winter calls for a comforting bowl of soup, and this Vegan, Dairy Free and Gluten Free (miso dependant) recipe is packed full of incredible flavor and nutritional benefits. You will have everyone you serve it to asking for the recipe!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 kilo of carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 regular or 6 small garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1/4 cup white miso paste, or more to taste* (Ensure GF miso is used, if required)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped or grated ginger, or more to taste
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- A drizzle of Pure Harvest Organic Toasted Sesame Oil
- 2 spring onions finely sliced
Heat oil in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, garlic and sauté until onion is translucent (about 10 minutes). Add stock and ginger. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender when pierced, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
Puree soup in batches in a blender, or all at once with an immersion blender. In a small bowl, whisk together the miso and half-cup of the soup. Stir the mixture back into the pot of soup. Taste the soup and season with salt, pepper or additional miso to taste.
Ladle into bowls and garnish each with a drizzle of sesame oil and a sprinkling of spring onions.
*Usually it is encouraged to season food throughout the cooking process, building layers of flavor. Here, the miso added at the end is very salty and it’s safest to decide how much seasoning your soup needs after that. Additionally, to ensure that this soup is Gluten Free, please select a miso paste (such as Spiral Kome Rice Miso) that does not contain gluten.