Top Tips For A Spring Detox
Author: Sheridan Date Posted:30 August 2017
Feeling sluggish? Need more energy? Want glowing skin? Then a detox might be just what you are after! Not only does a detox help with these things, but it might also be able to improve digestion, break unhealthy eating habits and help with bloating and flatulence. And the list can go on! The purpose of a detox is to take a load off our organs of elimination which help to remove toxic substances in our body. These primary organs of elimination are the liver, kidneys and bowels.
Lifestyle factors that contribute to an overload in our body are medications, alcohol, exposure to chemicals, smoking, caffeinated drinks, drug use, emotional stress, and processed foods. Toxins can be from both our internal environment and our external environment.
Detoxing isn’t a new fad. For thousands of years, humans have been trying to rid these toxins from their bodies through rituals such as sweat lodges, blood letting, enemas, and fasting. Here is some more insight into detoxing, as we answer the most common questions about detoxing.
Will I Get Side Effects?
During the first couple of days, you may experience headaches and digestive changes (loose bowel movements, constipation). Energy may be low but will start to pick up after a few days in.
When Should I Start a Detox?
Plan ahead! As you might be experiencing side effects, make sure you have no big events planned as you may not be feeling 100% or may be influenced to sneak in a drink or 2!
How Do I Prepare for Detoxing?
It’s recommended that you gradually cut down on caffeinated beverages (tea, coffee, energy drinks) a week or so in advance. Have a shopping list prepared with all the yummy nutritious foods you can eat, and let family and friends know that you’re starting a detox, so those around you are supportive!
How Long Should I Detox For?
The time you take to do your detox is really up to you. If you are new to detoxing, start with a week and see how you feel. Aim for four weeks if it is a simple detox program. If you want to change habits like unhealthy eating and too much consumption of alcohol, you might like trying it for longer. Depending on the type of detox you want to do, it might be wise to speak with a health care practitioner and hear what they would recommend. We have some helpful practitioners in store that can assist you in tailoring a detox program which is safe and effective. You can find more information about our clinic here>>
What Can I Eat?
- Liver loving foods such as cruciferous vegetables - broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale and turnips. Also berries, turmeric, rosemary, and beetroot.
- An abundance of fresh fruit and veggies (we have a big fresh organic range in store)
- Legumes such as chickpeas, lentils and kidney beans.
- Raw and unsalted nuts and seeds.
- Coconut oil and cold pressed olive oil for cooking and for dressings.
- Organic eggs and free range organic poultry.
- Herbal teas such as chicory, dandelion, and green tea.
- Slippery elm powder
What to Avoid:
- Caffeine such as tea, coffee or energy drinks
- Sugar, artificial sweeteners, artificial flavours and colourings
- Deep fried, processed foods
- Dairy products
- Dried fruits
- Processed meats
- Soft drinks
What Else Should I Include?
- Consume 2-3 litres of water. This will help support the kidneys detox system.
- Exercise daily for 45 minutes – 1 hour. Exercise encourages the lymphatic system which is very important during a detox.
- Body brushing. Gentle sweeping strokes over your body, towards the heart, helps the lymph flow properly.
- Minimise use of technology (where possible). Studies show that technology can contribute to high levels of stress.
- Rest where possible
Is A Detox For Everyone?
Pregnant women, the elderly, people with high blood pressure, overweight or underweight people are advised not to detox, or should discuss their options with a qualified health practitioner.
For a more detailed detox program, it is advised that you speak with a qualified naturopath. Our naturopaths at Sunnybrook Health Store can prescribe individual protocols according to what is needed for your own healing and detoxification process. Book an appointment with them today.